The old part of Luxembourg Cathedral today owes its origins to the former Jesuit College, with which it forms to this day an architectural entity. The Jesuits settled permanently in Luxembourg in 1594 and opened a school in 1603.
The year 1621 saw the end of the college church work and in 1778 the church was erected in parish church with the title “St. Nicolas and St. Teresa”. Since 1794 it houses the statue of Our Lady, the Comforter of the Afflicted, Patroness of the City of Luxembourg and the Grand Duchy.
In 1844 receives the name “Church of Our Lady” and few decades after became a cathedral church. The Octave annual pilgrimage to Our Lady of Luxembourg, Comforter of the Afflicted, is celebrated every year from the 3rd to the 5th Sunday after Easter.
For more info, click here.
Streaming available here 24/7, night excluded.